News Release: HanoHano Huli Ocean Challenge set for 23rd Year
San Diego – Hanohano Outrigger Canoe Club and Huki Outrigger/Surfski bring you the 23st Annual Hanohano Huki Ocean Challenge Presented by Paddle Planet to be held in Mission Bay, San Diego, Ca. on January 27, 2018.
Hanohano Huki Ocean Challenge, a WPA sanctioned points race and flagship event for the SoCal Winter Racing Series, is one of the Longest Running Paddlesport Races in California offering access to all paddle crafts including OC-1 and 2, Surfski, Traditional Paddleboard, Standup Paddleboard and Kayak. The Hanohano Ocean Challenge attracts top level professional athletes and beginners from ages 7-80.
The Hanohano Huki Ocean Challenge evolved from Hanohano Outrigger Canoe Club (HOCC) Founder, Egon Horcajo’s Excel Surfski Race which originated in the late 1980’s.
“HOCC has grown the event to over 650 participants by expanding its mission to promote accessibility to paddling as an active healthy lifestyle while building our Ohana,”said Race Director Dan Van Dyck.
You are encouraged to visit the race site on Paddle Guru for more details.
Special thanks to our Partners: Huki Outrigger/Surfski, Dirty Birds, Paddle Planet, Isle SUP and Fin Film Co.
Important Notes on the event:
- Pre-Registration is highly suggested. (T-shirts guaranteed for Pre-registered participants only)
$25 for preregistration – race fees go up to $30 for day of registration!!!!
- Preregistration will help eliminate delays on race morning as well as cut down on paddler error while registering with our new online format. PLEASE VISIT PADDLE GURU AND PREREGISTER FOR THIS EVENT
- Food…Breakfast snack items and coffee will be available for free in the morning. Lunch will be an additional fee with menu items beginning at $5.00. Please bring cash. The new lunch format allows us account for the increased number of mouths to feed while keeping your race fee at $25.00…Bring a water bottle, we will have Gatorade and water to fill them up.
- Raffle: Hanohano OCC still boasts the best Raffle west of the Mississippi…bring some dough and have a chance at a Brand New Huki OC-2 and a ton of other great product from our sponsors and vendors.
- PFD’s are required on all paddle craft with the exception of Prone paddleboard. Leashes are suggested for use on the long course for OC-1’s and Surfski’s
- No Dogs, Alcohol or Glass are allowed in Mission Bay Park…Rangers will issue hefty fines.
About the Hanohano Huki Ocean Challenge
Celebrate our 23rd Anniversary with us! The Hanohano Ocean Challenge has been hosted by Hanohano Outrigger Canoe Club since 1996 after taking over the San Diego Excel Surfski Race hosted by Club Founder Egon Horcajo which began in the late 1980’s. The Hanohano Huki Ocean Challenge has grown to be one of the Premiere Races in California and one of the biggest and longest running in the nation.The Hanohano OCC is a 501c3 non-profit Organization was formed in order to unite men and women who share an interest in perpetuating and participating in Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe Racing at its’ highest competitive level. The Club encourages and promotes good will and sportsmanship among members.