Last night I saw this Facebook post from Karen Wrenn, one of my paddle idols:
"Today's paddle was… Paddle until tired, bored or until out of time. I ran out of time at 18 miles and had to get my kids from school."
It had the picture below with it. I thought: "What does one take for a 'paddle until I run out of time' paddle?'" That, along with watching Annabel eat Coconut Manna (I still have no idea what it is) straight from the jar at Guy and Patty's house last weekend made me think of a new feature for the Mullet: Fast Five. I've emailed or messaged your favorite pros and paddle friends to get their fast five answers to the most burning questions in paddling:
Fast Five Questions
1) Favorite "Paddle energy" foods?
2) Favorite paddle activity? Surf, distance, downwind, or whitewater?
3) Favorite non-paddling cross-training activity?
4) Favorite place to paddle?
5) If you could tell paddlers just one thing, it would be . . . .
Karen obliged immediately (in between coaching track practice, no less!)
Karen Wrenn's Fast Five
1) My favorite paddle energy foods for a long distance paddle are NOW(no opportunity wasted) energy bars with chia seeds and manuka honey, banana, and tortellini pasta cooked with no sauce. Water with electrolytes and plain water too.
2) My favorite paddle activity is downwinding… it's so much fun!
3) My favorite cross training is running.
4) My favorite place to paddle is Maui and the Gorge.
5) My advice to paddlers is to not take it too seriously… your supposed to have fun. It's ok to focus and train hard but make sure it all ends in fun.
And stay tuned for the next installment of Fast Five. Want to send me your Fast Five? Email me at [email protected]