We’re in Dunedin Florida with Distressed Mullet and Paddle Monster. The long drive from North Carolina was rewarded with amazing food at The Serendipity Cafe. Amazing, Clean, fresh food made by owner, chef Kim Mohr with love, joy, humor and and music. This is one of those original creations that rewards anyone who stumbles through their doors. I could eat every meal here.
Just got to Dunedin, FL for the Sharkbite Challenge. 48 OC-6s and longboats galore. Sup and prone. This should be fun. Having lunch at serendipity with Teneale Hatton in from New Zealand,and the race directors Karen and Rob Mirlenbrink and Humberto doing customer service on the OC-6 side. Amazing food
It looks like the heat wave has passed as have the storms. The temperatures should be in the 70s with mild onshore winds, but that could change. Larry Cain, Teneale Hatton, Johnny Puakea, and Oscar Chalupsky are all in town.
We even got to see Wendell and Huberto!
Friday, April 7th
Due to onshore weather conditions on the beach, your clinics with Johnny Puakea, Larry Cain, Teneale Hatton, and Oscar Chalupsky will be held on the Dunedin Causeway. The meeting place is just past the kayak rental/tiki on the left hand side. The address is 61 Causeway Blvd, Dunedin, FL 34698.
- 10 a.m. Surfski Clinic with Oscar Chalupsky
- 10 a.m. SUP Clinic with Larry Cain
- 1 p.m. Surfski Clinic with Teneale Hatton
- 1 p.m. OC6 Clinic with Johnny Puakea
- 6 p.m. Check in Party at the Blur Night Club – Back Patio
Saturday, April 9th
- 6 a.m. – Fishing Tournament Angler Check in
- 8 a.m. Race Check-in Opens at Honeymoon Island State Park – No Race Day Registration
- 9:30 a.m 4 mile Race & Waterman’s Challenge Begin
- 11 a.m. Shark Bite Challenge 8-Mile Races (approximate schedule)
- 2 p.m. Awards on the Beach
- 3 p.m. Fishing Tournament Angler Lines Out
- 3:30 Fishing Tournament Mandatory Weigh in, Lunch, Awards, Raffle
- 4 p.m. – Race Party at the Dunedin Brewery
Sunday, April 11th
- 8 a.m. Registration Opens for all events.
- 9 a.m. FREE Intro & Basics of Surfski Clinic with Team EPIC
- 9 a.m. Paddle Smarter Not Harder OC1 Clinic with John Puakea
- 11 a.m. Back to Basics Surfski Clinic with Oscar Chalupsky
- 9 a.m. Outrigger Canoe (OC6) Races begin
- 1:30 p.m. Outrigger Race Awards and Lunch
Stuff You NEED to Know
- Leashes and PFD’s are MANDATORY.
- Dogs are not allowed on the Shark Bite Beach.
- Alcohol is prohibited in the State Park, as well. Don’t worry, we’ll have plenty for you afterwards.
- Florida-based OC6 Clubs must bring their club’s canoes.
- Honeymoon Island State Park Gates open at 8 a.m. You will be allowed into the park at that time. Camping is not allowed at the gate or on the Causeway.
- Travel information, such as hotels, campsites, airports, is available here. PLEASE CALL YOUR HOTELS IN REGARDS TO TRAILER PARKING.
- All Board and Boat demos are on Sunday, April 10th. This keeps our race area clear and safe for everyone and their stuff.
- Again, we are stoked to host you all. We look forward to seeing you on Shark Bite Weekend!
Check out the Serendipity Cafe at 664 Main St Dunedin, FL 34698
For more information on the Sharkbite Challenge, go to: http://sharkbitechallenge.com/