Amazing conditions and equally amazing performances. I was going back and forth between Jaime Mitchell, M2O and Chris Aguilar and Instagram. This was such an inspiring year.
- Sonni Honschied 3-peats in Elite Women: Sonni Honscheid, 35, set a personal best in her third consecutive win at M2O (5:01:40). The German champ was just minutes off the unlimited SUP course record of 4:55:02 set by Talia Gangini in 2012.
- Kai Lenny takes first M20 in Elite Men: Kai Lenny, 23, put his record-setting stamp on M2O by winning the men’s unlimited stand up paddleboard (SUP) race in 4:07:41. Lenny’s win bests that of rival and fellow Maui paddler Connor Baxter’s record of 4:08:08 set in 2014. Lenny also holds the men’s record and title in the stock SUP category where he finished second overall in a time of 4:22:14 in 2012.
- Jordan Mercer wins 6th consecutive M2O in Womens unlimited Prone: The Australian phenom Jordan Mercer cruised to an uncontested sixth straight victory in the women’s unlimited prone category (5:32:42). This win puts her on a path to becoming the winningest woman ever at M2O, establishing her own decade of dominance in the sport.
- Matt Bevilacqua shatters course record in winning Mens unlimited Prone: Setting records on the waves, Matt Bevilacqua powered to his second consecutive win in 4 hours, 29 minutes, 32 seconds in the unlimited paddleboard category. The 24-year-old Australian’s win crushes the previous record set by countryman Jamie Mitchell in 2011 (4:40:31). Mitchell recorded 10 consecutive wins over his M2O career.
- Abby Brown, Stock Paddleboard Women
- Stewart McLachlan, Stock Paddleboard Men
ALL RESULTS can be found here: http://www.molokai2oahu.com/
Best of Instagram
“For the longest time, and for reasons not entirely clear, @kai_lenny had not been able to win the most important paddle race in the world, the @molokai2oahu, a 32-mile paddleboard race between the two Hawaiian Islands across one of the most treacherous channels in the world, often called The Channel of Bones for its fierceness and uneven, brutal currents. That all ended today, as Lenny added to his already stellar legacy by winning his first Molokai in an unnofficial record time of four hours and six minutes. Former Molokai champ Travis Grant ended second with Connor Baxter in third.” – The Inertia’s @joecarberry Kai Lenny just won Molokai2Oahu; full story on theinertia.com☝️Link in our bio! ?: @ledarling #molokai2oahu #hawaii #m2o #paddleboard
A video posted by The Inertia (@theinertia) on
404 SUP put together a great team performance:
Team 404!!! 1st @buillard 2nd @dannyching404 3rd @travisbaptiste 3rd team- @noa_hopper And @rylandhart 5th @kaichong08 who else wants a stock 14′ downwind board? This team is all about family, fun, and going fast. Congrats boys!!! #wondertwins #twinning #hawaii #sup #m2o #molokai2oahu #champs #gofast
This shot of our buddy SUP TOMO really captures the swell and mayhem out in the Channel of Bones:
Finished my 7th times @molokai2oahu Sup Solo. I think This years Kaiwi channel was the best conditions in past 6 years that I did. I got 13th place on Unlimited Div. 2nd place 30-39 Age div. Also I broke my record. 8 minutes faster than my past record. Everybody going faster and getting strong. I really respect to all the M2O paddlers!! Thanks to my family,my boat captain Russell,Hide-san,boat crew,my training coach Vincent,World best paddler Connor Baxter who training with me whole time in Maui,All my sponsors. Without you I couldn’t do this. Thanks and Aloha.?? 7回目のモロカイオアフはアンリミテッド 13位、年齢別2位でした。 自身のベストタイムを8分くらい更新し、無事海峡を渡れたことを嬉しく思います。 協力、応援してくれた全ての人に感謝します。 Aloha. Photo by Hide-san #middleofthechannel #kaiwichannel #m2o @starboardsup #livethetikilife @teva #livebetterstories @star_cap @fcs_japan @fcssup @zen_nutrition
A photo posted by Tomoyasu Murabayashi (@suptomo) on
THe Makua Activewear Team rocked it, too:
JORDAN MERCER captures 6th Straight title:
Jordan Mercer of Australia in the final stretch to win the Molokai to Oahu Paddleboard race. Time of 05:32:42. Shot with GoPro Hero 4 Black with KNEKT GPLT trigger. @jordanmercer_1 #gopro #knektusa #oahu #molokai #paddleboard #m2o #molokai2oahu @molokai2oahu
A photo posted by gentrypro (@gentrypro) on
Another great shot of Kai Lenny:
Congrats to Kai Lenny for coming in first place overall in the SUP division at the Molokai to Oahu SUP/Paddleboard race. Time of 04:07:21. Congrats to all who competed. Shot with GoPro Hero 4 Black with KNEKT GPLT trigger. @kai_lenny #m2o #molokai2oahu #sup #standuppaddle #oahu @knektusa @gopro #knektusa #gopro @molokai2oahu
Morgen Hoesterey posted this amazing shot.
A photo posted by Morgan Hoesterey (@morganhoesterey) on
Had to post this amazing shot of Jordan Mercer:
TRAINING SESSIONS – For 5 consecutive years Jordan Mercer has been the reigning champion in the woman’s #prone race. Setting new challenges for herself to take things to the next level, she takes a moment just outside the wall in the final days leading up to Sunday’s race day. Photo: @jianca_lazarus // #JordanMercer #magicmercer #molokai2oahu2016 #paddleboard #world #race #bw #blackandwhite #chinawalls #hawaii #training #jiancalazarusphoto
Here’s one from George Plsek:
Well all done another amazing day in the Kaiwi Channel , Molokai 2 Oahu world Championships. Could have not done it with a lot of help of many. My family @rennp @_maisy_daisy_ @maxplsek @a_plsek @plsekm for putting up with my training schedule . My training partners @roachfree @chuckglynn for pushing me @paddlepowertrainer Mick DiBetta for setting up a training program that made me feel strong to the finish. NCP crew for being the NCP crew 🙂 . @barkboards Joe and @jackbark for boards support and friendship !! @vertra @oakleyendurance #garmin920xt #surfride @surftechusa @surftechsc #laird #timetorelax #gp30
A photo posted by George Plsek (@gplsek) on
We also found all the gear on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/m2opaddlerace2016
Really cool stuff.